Where to upload video and audio
The following describes how to upload video and audio files to the Kaltura hosting service at video.vt.edu. It describes basic steps for everyone and specific steps needed for video and audio to appear in the VTx website if desired.
- Click on "Add New" to the left of your profile icon in the main navigation
- Select "Media Upload"
- Click "Choose a file to upload"
- Navigate your file system to the video you want to upload and click "Open"
When the metadata input form appears add content to the following fields ONLY:
- Name - A branded headline for the video
- Description - A description of the video content
- Tags* - Use the VTx tags sheet for appropriate tags; A single, unique to that video category tag is required
* If you want this video to appear in the VTx website, you will need to tag it appropriately and follow the next step to add collaborators and set the video to private.
NOTE: If you do not want your video to appear in the VTx site, but just be hosted for embed within a page, you can skip the collaborators step and just save your video as Published.
Scroll the form and click "Add Collaborator"
- Megan Zalecki, Dawn Jeffries, Donna Meese, and John Jackson MUST be added as collaborators to approve the video for publishing
- Collaborators should have all three permissions options checked as each is added
Select the "Private" option below the Collaborators
For accessibility compliance all published videos must be captioned. You will need to follow the steps below to add and correct captions for your video.
- Click "Go To My Media"
- Click the checkbox to the left of your uploaded media item in the list
- Click "Actions"
- Select "Caption & Enrich"
In the Captions Ordering page,
- Select "English" as the Language
- Click Submit
Captions must be proofread and corrected by the uploader before videos will be published. You can view and edit the captions with the following steps.
- Go to My Media
- Click on the pencil to the right of the media you want to edit in the list
- Click the captions tab below the media
- Click the download icon to the right of the caption file once added by the system
- Watch the media item in the player with captions on and correct captions with a text editor
- Click Upload captions file
- Click Browse and choose updated file
- Choose "English" as the language
- Click Save to apply changes
- Delete old caption file
Publishing to VTx
Once your video has been approved for publishing by one of the collaborators added earlier, follow the next steps to make the video active and ready for aggregation into the VTx website.
- Go to My Media and click the pencil next to the media item you wish to edit
- Click on the Publish tab below the media player
- Change Private to Published
- Under "Publish In Channel" search for "University Relations"
- Select "University Relations" as the channel
- Scroll down and click "Save"