As a web_admin, you are responsible for setting up your site after it has either been migrated from the previous platform or if it has been created by the CMS team. This page will guide you through that process.
Users are managed through the university’s Enterprise Directoy Group Manager. As a web_admin, you can determine the number of users and roles they have within your site. To add or remove users, go to the group manager: https://webapps.es.vt.edu/group-manager/auth/groups.html
Login with your PID/password.
Once the group manager loads, you’ll see the site(s) that you can manage through the CMS and for each site, you will see separate group names for each role within the system. These include:
- Author — A user who can add/edit content. This includes uploading images and other assets to your site’s asset library. Authors cannot publish content.
- Publisher — A user who can add/edit content and upload assets. Publishers can also publish content to the live site.
- Web_admin — Web_admins can add/edit content, upload assets, and publish pages. Web_admins can also add/remove users and can adjust the site configuration settings.
To add a member to any of these groups, click “Add” next to the group name and type in the person’s PID on the next page.
To remove a user, choose “Modify” next to the group name. Once clicked, you’ll see a listing of users who have that defined level of access to your site. Select the checkbox next to the PID and choose the Delete Member(s) button.
The next time that user logs in, he/she should see the site listed under the My Sites section of Ensemble. If the user is already logged in, they'll need to exit (sign out) and log back in to see their new site permissions.
Web_admins will be automatically added to author and publisher groups with the role manager about a week after becoming a web_admin. Likewise, removal of a web_admin will eventually result in the eventual removal of author and publisher permissions.
Web_admins can remove themselves from groups that they administer. This is not something they can subsequently fix.
Help / Support
For questions and / or CMS support please file a ticket by either:
- Clicking on the "Request CMS Support" link at the bottom right hand corner of this page and filling out the form
- Filing a Ticket directly in the Ticketing system. You will need to be logged in to file a ticket directly.